Sunday, August 17, 2014

Tomatillo salsa

Yummy note: It's been fun to watch our little garden boxes flowering nicely with zucchini and pumpkin flowers this summer, and the fact we are finally getting some produce is even more exciting. :)  My neighbor and I have been working together to keep it all alive, and critter-free, lol, while my husband and kids enjoy checking out our garden boxes every morning to see what new things have popped up overnight. We have had a nice run of tomatoes, peppers, and zucchinis. We've been making zucchini bread, zucchini salsas, and next on my "fun" list to try is some zucchini "cheese," but, first, I had to try this fresh recipe for tomatillo salsa from my SRC assigned blogger. The Savvy Kitchen was this month's selection from the Secret Recipe Club group C. Amy's blog- The Savvy Kitchen has some fantastic quick and easy recipes that are super family-friendly, too. Speaking of family, she has an adorable little toddler that she features on her Tiny Tot Tuesdays, really, how cute is he?! So this tomatillo salsa, it was a bit tangy, zesty, yet mild compared to your traditional tomato salsas. This fresh tomatillo salsa has similar flavors of salsa verde, but the zucchini and corn added some great texture and crunch to the salsa, instead of the smooth green sauce-like salsa verdes. This is really a fresher approach to traditional salsa verde, and with the inclusion of zucchini, it was a fun dish to try out. 




Tomatillo Salsa 


Ingredients:
1 lime, juiced
11 oz. of fresh tomatillos or 1 can of whole tomatillos, drained 
1 zucchini, peeled, seeded, and diced (or cut into small cubes)
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped 
1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil 
1/2 cup of sweet corn, cut off the cob (about 1 ear of corn)
1 tsp. of minced garlic
Black pepper, to taste 



Directions: 
Prepare tomatillos by chopping them into smaller pieces and slice off corn from the cob and place into a large bowl. Add the chopped zucchini, lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, garlic and pepper. Mix all of the ingredients well together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to eat.

Yummy notes: I couldn't find canned tomatillos in the store, so I used fresh one for this recipe. I unfortunately ran short of the 11 ounces of fresh tomatillos, so I improvised and added a small red tomato to the mix to equal 11 ounces. Also, I have a slight allergy to raw zucchini, so I sauteed up a bit of the salsa on the stove, basically just enough to soften and start cooking the raw zucchini so I could eat it. My husband got to try the fresh version, while I got to enjoy the partially cooked one. 

zucchinis! 
My neighbor and I working in the garden boxes.

Such a fun fresh dish of tomatillo salsa! 


My portion of cooked tomatillo salsa, not as colorful, but just as tasty as the fresh counterpart.



5 comments:

  1. I've never seen a chunky tomatillo salsa like this - I like it! I've yet to try one, chunky or smooth - sounds like I need to get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks like a wonderfully fresh summer side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun that you were able to try this with zucchini from your garden! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much easier to grow the garden in boxes, or buckets like we do, and it gives such great produce. This salsa looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So jealous of your garden harvest as I'm a black thumb over here - glad to see you are reaping the benefits of all your hard work! Love this salsa - so fresh and vibrant.

    ReplyDelete