Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Protein balls

Yummy note: I love to graze, my kids seem to have the munchies a lot, too. So it feels like we are eating all the time here at my house. I have been trying to make healthier things to fill our tummies with, especially between meals. I also like to eat a little something before or after I workout, which these little protein balls fit perfect for that. They are small and quick to pop for a snack, plus when I add in the added protein powder they really seem to help ease my hunger in between meals. My kids like to eat a modified version of these which are dairy and nut-free as more of a granola bar form, but I like to make my version in a bite size form for smaller portions and with nuts. Last month, I took these to the fitness center, where I take some exercise classes, for a birthday treat and they also agreed that these little protein balls were a good healthy snack. :) 



Protein Balls 

Source: recipe slightly adapted from http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/



Ingredients:

1 cup (dry) old-fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup prepared PB2 or peanut butter (or other alternative, such as soybutter, sunflower seed, etc.)
1/3 cup honey
2/3 cup toasted or regular coconut flakes
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 tbsp vanilla protein powder (If you don't add in protein powder, you may want to add in a teaspoon of vanilla extract or cinnamon for additional flavor.)

*optional add-in - 1/4 to 1/2 cup of either mini chocolate chips, chopped raisins/prunes, or chopped nuts


*note if you add in additional add-ins above, you may need to adjust and add in more peanut butter or honey to keep the mixture from being too dry.

Directions:
In a large bowl, first mix together the peanut butter and honey. Then add in all of the remaining ingredients and stir together until thoroughly mixed. Chill the mixture for about an hour or so. Then roll into bite-sized balls or use a cookie dough scoop for equal portions. Store protein balls in the refrigerator so they will last longer. This recipe makes about 20 balls, depending on the size. 




No comments:

Post a Comment