Sunday, September 22, 2013

Peach Cobbler

Yummy note: This summer, the kids and I sure loved hitting all of the amazing farmer's markets around the area. They made me quite proud the other morning, when the farmer was asking them what each vegetable or fruit was, and my kiddos correctly answered about 80 percent of his questions right! My oldest could recognize zucchini, kale, squash, red bell peppers, and garlic; while my youngest identified melons, carrots, apples, and these amazing looking peaches. So we ended up with a bunch of peaches we found at the farmer's market, and I wasn't quite sure what we were going to do with them all at first, other then to just enjoy eating them fresh! Then came along the Secret Recipe Club assignment for the month of September. Well, hello and thank you to Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake, as she had some great peach recipes I could pick from to use them up on; like a Tomato Salad with Peach and Basil Vinaigrette or a Peach Upside Down Chiffon Cake. Then just recently Liz featured a Peach Galette. All great choices, I'm sure, but for some reason, I realized I've never really made a true cobbler before and this Peach Cobbler looked awesome. I've made various fruit crisps but not cobblers, and there is a real difference between the two in the topping category. The cobbler was more of a buttery biscuit like topping, while the crisps are more like an oatmeal cookie topping. Both equally delicious in their own rights! 

Peach Cobbler





Ingredients:
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1 cup of flour
1/4 tsp of salt
1 tbsp of baking powder
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of milk
6-8 peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced - *See picture for easy peach prep techniques.
1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
1 tsp of cinnamon


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place butter in large baking baking dish and place in the oven to melt the butter. I used roughly a 9 x 9 baking dish and I think it was too small, as you will note some spillage in my photos.


So I would use a slightly larger one to prevent any loss of cobbler. Next prep your peaches. I used a simple method of slicing an "x" on the bottom of my peaches and placing in a pan of boiling water for roughly only 30 seconds. This helps release the peach skins, so that they peel off with ease. After placing peaches in the boiling water for only about 30 seconds, immediately place them in cool water to stop the heating process and then they will become cooler to touch and then peel the skins. After the skins are peeled cut the peaches into about 1/2 inch slices for the cobbler.


In a bowl, combine flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk, without over stirring, and pour over the melted butter.


Combine 1 cup of sugar, lemon juice, and peaches in a large pan over the stove. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar starts to dissolve and mixture becomes bubbly. Mix in some cinnamon to taste.


Pour over the cobbler batter, without stirring it together. Bake the cobbler (on a cookie sheet if you are concerned about spillage) for about 45 minutes or until it is a nice golden brown and the peach mixture below is hot and bubbly.


 After I cleaned up my overflow of peach cobbler, look at the beautiful golden brown crust.
 
A warm cobbler is the way to go... tender peaches and a slightly crunchy, gooey topping is the way to eat this cobbler! 



10 comments:

  1. That looks so good and I have a bowl of fresh peaches in my fridge right now... Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am new to group C and am enjoying doing the rounds this morning! Who doesn't love a PEACH COBBLER and yours looks amazing, what a great SRC pick! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's some comfort food, delish! I think it's great that your kids know their fruit and veggies, I know kids who didn't even know corn grew on a cob!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your peach cobbler looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All summer I've been making cobblers and crisps (even eating them for breakfast at times - hey, they have fruit in them!) Think I'll try this with the load of apples I just got yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm thrilled you got my blog and made this yummy cobbler! Sorry about the overflow, but it was good for quality control, wasn't it! I miss fresh peaches already!!!! I want a big dish of your cobbler :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, mistakes happen in the kitchen and I should know! :). This looks delicious anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please, give me a large of portion of this amazing cobbler...Oh, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz has a great blog and I bet it was super challenging to narrow down your choice - you made a great selection. Glad to be part of SRC group C with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks wonderful, overflow and all. Love Peach cobbler.

    ReplyDelete