Thursday, September 15, 2011

Brown Bag Popcorn

Yummy note: First off, I'll start saying this is my first blog of this sorts only using my iPhone for picture taking cause it was late at night when I started this little experiment and honestly was skeptical that this would even work. So instead of recreating and using my real camera, I thought why not post these photos as is and even show my little popcorn popping video! It was a "Seriously...this works" type of moment!  Yes, you can make quick no fuss popcorn in the microwave with NO special poppers, bowls, etc.. as I tell myself as I hope my microwave doesn't turn into a fireball...lol..  All you need is some regular popcorn kernels, a small-lunch sized brown paper bag, and your microwave! I really wish I had known about this when I was in college, as I was making microwaved popcorn all the time, and buying those expensive pre-packaged bags. Who knew I could have saved some cash! I came across it on this site here, while looking for other DIY stuff, seriously who knew all the stuff you can make from things in your house already.


Brown Bag Popcorn

Ingredients:
about 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels



Directions:
Place 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels into a small brown paper bag.


Fold over top of brown paper bag with a few small folds to keep bag closed to ensure popcorn stays in your bag while popcorn kernels later are exploding into fluffy popcorn :)


Place brown bag upright in microwave and set to cook for a couple of minutes, about 3 or so, or until popping has slowly diminished, or just use the popcorn button on the microwave if you have one.

 Listen closely for the popcorn in popping action!

Once the popping has almost halted, open microwave, shake your bag of popcorn, open, and enjoy! :)


Yummy note: Since this first time of popping my popcorn, I also prepared batches with about a tablespoon of oil/melted butter coating the kernels before putting them in the bag and it also seemed to work fine. Only big thing about adding that before popping, it makes your bag very oily and kind of a mess and you won't be able to really reuse your bag. If you pop the kernels dry in your brown bag, you can reuse the brown bag for another batch of popcorn easily without a mess. 


The popcorn we used for this experiment was picked up from a local Chicagoland farmstand store, Goebbert's, which we love to take little trips to and visit, and of course, get some great produce. 
How cute is this, I had to share Alicia and her adorable little shopping cart to tote our goodies in while at Goebbert's

2 comments:

  1. I understand about a messy bag, but that teeny bit of oil is just enough to make the salt stick! To me, it makes all the difference! This is a great recipe and it's been too long since I've made some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea!


    I'm hosting a link party and I would love it if you would drop by Jane Deere and link up to Fusion Fridays with your favorite or most recent recipes, handmade crafts, diy projects, tips & tricks, and how to's! { open through Wednesday! }

    Visit Jane Deere

    ReplyDelete