Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Birthday Cake Project - the castle

Yummy note: A few months back, my daughter Alicia, aka my sous chef, turned the big 5! In preparation for her birthday we had discussed what she wanted for a party, who to invite, etc.. Alicia had many visions and definitely knew what she wanted for her 5th birthday party. She wanted a party at "Monkey Joe's with her friends with and a pink and purple castle cake with a royal coach" and if that wasn't enough, oh yeah, "and cookies, too" - whew... now that was a big endeavor for It's Yummy to My Tummy to take on.




*Keep in mind, at this time, I had a beautiful little 3 month old baby at home to contend with too! I was for sure in panic mood, so I called in reinforcements for a day and my mom made a trip in to help watch the kiddos. Thankfully, it all went off without a hitch and the day went wonderfully. A beautiful castle cake made it to the party and cute little sugar cookie pops were set up in a little bucket for the kiddos to take as a favor to go home. It was a success! I got so many rave reviews of the cake, and compliments almost in disbelief that I made the cake and didn't just buy one instead.  So, I don't really have any new recipes to post for this blog entry other than to give you some inspiration for cake building and a castle or princess themed birthday.  For the frosting, I used this recipe which held up rather well in the heat that weekend. http://itsyummytomytummy.blogspot.com/2010/05/buttercream-frosting-icing.html   I cheated a bit and used boxed cake mixes, and bought some ice cream cones for the castle pillars, which I then decorated with frosting and dipped chocolate.


If you have any questions about the set-up or what I did for her cake, please feel free to leave me a comment and I'll gladly try to give you a few insider tips ;)



I loved my cookie pops!


Sugar cookie pop favors!

Happy birthday, my sweet girl, Alicia. I'm glad mommy could make your dream birthday castle cake come to life :)

The Happy Birthday Girl

1 comment: