Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cream of Asparagus and Potato Soup

Yummy note: I had some pretty fresh asparagus left from a recent shopping trip. However, I wasn't quite sure how I was going to use up. I had my share of roasted/grilled asparagus the night before, so I wanted something different. We had some nice steaks to grill up, so I thought I'd pair it up with a simple asparagus soup. Amazingly fairly easy to put together with a fresh and not too heavy taste, perfect for the summer. 

Cream of Asparagus and Potato Soup

Ingredients:
about 1/2 lb. asparagus, ended removed and trimmed
about 3 potatoes, cut up
enough water to cover vegetables (about 2 cups water)
1-2 tsp chicken bouillon seasoning
1 tsp garlic minced
2 tablespoons butter
5 slices bacon, cooked
2 tsp dried onion flakes
1 cup milk
all-purpose seasonings/herbs to taste (I just did a few shakes of seasonings here and there to get it to my taste preference at the end, so adjust accordingly.)
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: leftover bacon crumbles and few french fried onions



Directions:
Melt the butter and add onions to cook up for couple minutes. Add the asparagus, potatoes, water, and seasonings to taste. Simmer all ingredients until the potatoes are cooked and some of water has boiled off. If mixture appears to be too watery still, pour off any remaining water. Let the soup mixture slightly cool and then proceed to puree in a blender. Next, add some crumbled up bacon to the blender and add in milk to your preference on thickness. Puree until smoothness is desired. Season with additional salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste. Garnished with some french fried onions and bacon crumbles.








Cast Party Wednesday

2 comments:

  1. Sounds tasty. I love potato soup and I bet the asparagus addition makes it very tasty. I wanted to invite your over to my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow and share more of your recipes.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete