Friday, April 16, 2010

banana bread

Yummy note:
This recipe came from my mom's sister, my Aunt Vera. This is a classic recipe that has always been part of my cookbook as long as I can remember, so it was a perfect reason to put it on here. It is a pretty moist banana bread and it stays really well for several days after you make it. I like making the mini loaves better, as I can easily make a variety at the same time. I just separate the batter into about bowls with about 1 cup of batter into each one and mix in some add-ins. For the mini loafs, a one cup measurement is pretty accurate for the minis. I like to leave a plain banana loaf or two, and then add my favorite, chocolate chips or nuts to the another loaf.


Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine - softened
1 tsp baking soda
1 tblsp orange juice
2 eggs - well beaten
3 large ripe bananas - mashed
2 cups flour
1/4 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:
1. Cream margarine and sugar together in a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl, mix orange juice and baking soda together until bubbly.
3. Next, pour in orange juice/soda mixture, along with beaten eggs, mashed bananas, and flour into the larger bowl. Stir well incorporating it into the sugar/margarine mixture.
4. Stir in nuts and/or chocolate chips.
5. Pour batter into greased loaf pans. I made about 4 mini loafs or you could use probably 2 larger loaf pans. Note: In the mini loaf pans, I used about a cup of batter in each one.
6. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 1 hour for the larger pans or about 35 minutes for the smaller pans. Continue to bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.


2 comments:

  1. That looks delish and I have 3 nannies needing a new form. I'm off to try it out. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully it turned out pretty good.... we quite enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete