Friday, March 5, 2010

cilantro lime chicken BLAT sandwich

Yummy note:
I had a sandwich similar to this the other day for lunch and knew I had to try and reproduce that $10 yummy sandwich I just scarfed down. So here is my take at it. Pretty darn close, I might say, so I am excited. Only thing real different from my sandwich and the restaurant one I had, was they used regular bacon slices and an herbed mayo of sorts on the pretzel bun. Other than that, I think I captured the essence.

In this post, you will be getting a two-in-one post :) You could easily just make the chicken part of this recipe and eat it with pasta, rice, use it in fajitas, or lay on top a nice salad. It is just so easy and quick, not to mention great flavor.




















Cilantro Lime Chicken BLAT (Bacon-Lettuce-Avocado-Tomato) Sandwich


Ingredients:
a few slices of Canadian bacon
Prepared Cilantro Lime chicken
avocado - sliced or diced
sliced pepperjack cheese
small container of salsa or pico de gallo (or you could use tomato slices)
slices of lettuce
Pretzel buns.


Directions:
Prepare the pretzel buns. I did this the night before and they still tasted great. I cut the buns in half and lightly toasted/warmed the buns back up in the oven for a few minutes, before I started layering on the other ingredients. Layer the above ingredients on a lightly buttered bun. I placed the Canadian bacon down first, then the chicken, then the pepperjack cheese, and then added the pico de gallo, avocado, and lettuce on top. What pretty and yummy layers of flavor you will get! Enjoy.















Cilantro Lime chicken

Ingredients:
1/8-1/4 cup prepared cilantro
2 limes juiced
2 tblsp olive oil
1 tblsp honey
1 tblsp garlic minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1-1 1/2 lbs thinly sliced or pounded chicken breasts


Directions:
For the marinade, mix all ingredients above in a dish or ziplock bag. Add the chicken to the marinade mixture and coat chicken well. Let is sit for atleast 15 minutes, or longer for more intense flavors.


This is my secret ingredient, I love to use prepared herbs/spices such as these shown here. I used the jarred minced garlic and the prepared cilantro "sauce in a tube" I'll call it. It works awesome. No chopping or dicing and cuts out some time preparing everything, plus, you loose NO flavor. Granted, you loose some "texture" of the cilantro, but you were going to be tossing it in the lime juice and olive oil anyways, so it's ok with this recipe.


After the chicken has been done marinating, grill the chicken until done a few minutes on each side. Because you have thinner chicken slices, it doesn't take that long, I think it maybe took about 4-5 minutes top . I used my old indoor George Foreman grill for these sandwiches, as I wanted to grill the chicken and get a more juicer chicken. Often, I'll admit it, and accidentally I'll overbake chicken in the oven, so I didn't want to risk that chance, so the grill is much better for me to cook with :)

No comments:

Post a Comment