Sunday, February 28, 2010

Strawberry cream cheese sugar cookies

Yummy note:
I was looking at making something on the fruitier side the other day for our girlie crafty day that was coming up. I knew I wanted to make some type of cookies, so I was trying to figure out something that wasn't too sweet, so I went for a nice light cookie. I used a prepared strawberry flavored cream cheese with this, but you could totally use whatever flavor you'd like to make the cookies that way as well. I wish the strawberry flavor in the cookie was a bit more, so maybe next time I'll figure out how to make a modification. Even though this cookie had cream cheese added in it, I was amazed that it wasn't too rich. I was really happy how the texture of this cookie ended up, along with how soft and moist it was.

















Ingredients:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 (3-oz.) pkg. strawberry cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup egg substitute or 1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:
Combine all ingredients above except for flour and beat until light and fluffy. Add the flour and mix well. Next, be sure to not skip this step or you'll be in for some issues later when you try and roll out your cookie dough. Either wrap dough in plastic wrap or put in a ziploc bag and chill. Refrigerate atleast 1 hour so that you can roll out the dough with ease.

After dough has chilled, roll out a manageable amount on a floured surface. You might need to put some more flour on top of the dough so that it does not stick. Keep the remaining dough chilling, as the dough gets sticky pretty fast if not kept chilled and makes it very hard to roll out. Cut out using cookie cutters or other desired shapes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, about an inch or two apart, and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven about 6 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown.














To top the cookies, you could do it a variety of ways. For once batch, I made a simple icing glaze of 1 cup of powdered sugar and about 1 tablespoon of water mixed together. To continue with the strawberry flavor, I added in a couple of teaspoons of strawberry flavored syrup into the icing. Spread on cooled cookies. On another batch, I spread a thin layer of strawberry preserves/jam on the unbaked cookies and continued to bake the cookies that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment