Wednesday, February 3, 2010

special k scotcheroos

Yummy Note:
This is one of those snacky dessert bars that always seems to make an appearance at the holiday time, especially with my family. The last few years around the holidays, these little bars see many different variations, such as my uncle makes them with special k cereal and some goey concoction, while my mom uses rice crispies and butterscotch chips in her recipe. I decided to take a stab at my own version. So I wanted to make it er.. "healthier" haha.. by adding some honey to it to replace some of the sugar one of my original recipes calls for. So here's my take.


Ingredients:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 cups peanut butter
1-2 tablespoons honey
6 cups Special K cereal
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter chips

Directions:
Cook corn syrup, honey, and sugars together over medium heat stirring occasionally until it starts to boil.

Remove from heat. Add peanut butter and stir until smooth.












Pour contents over Special K cereal and stir until coated. Press into a buttered 9"x13" pan. Melt chocolate and peanut butter chips together and spread over bars.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THESE! Honestly, I never knew what they were called. I'm SO making these this weekend. (My pants are screaming "Damn you Heather!")

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe. the name doesn't matter.. lol. if you'd ask Drew and his family, they'd call them "rice krispy treats" while my family calls them "scotcheroos" .. whatever you decide to call them, they are tasty either way. :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete